We offered several soft drinks at the party: butterbeer, pumpkin juice, polyjuice potion, and gillywater (also used as a mixer for some of the alcoholic drinks).
The butterbeer recipe came from https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/butterbeer/ and looks a bit like the following. We found the sweetness overpowering, so cut out the sugar from the cream topping.
The label came from this Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/540947092/butterbeer-large-printable-label-725-x
- 2 liter bottle of cream soda chilled
- 1/4 tsp caramel extract
- 1/4 tsp butter extract
For the Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butterscotch topping
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- In large mixing bowl, whip heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add butterscotch topping and powdered sugar.
- Mix the caramel and butter extracts with the cream soda and then pour the mixture into clear cups or mugs.
- Top with butterscotch cream topping and enjoy!
The Pumpkin Juice recipe came from http://www.inliterature.net/food-in-literature/2014/05/copycat-harry-potter-pumpkin-juice-recipe.html and looks like the following.
The label came from this Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/592121230/wizard-pumpkin-juice-printable-labels?ref=related-1
- Actual ‘pumpkin juice’
- half of a butternut squash
- 2 cups water
- Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice
- 1.25 cup pumpkin juice
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Start by placing your half a pumpkin or squash in a baking tray lined with a layer of water. Roast for approx 40 minutes at 180C until soft when fork is pressed in.
- Remove from oven, cool and remove skin.
- In a blender, combine the squash and water and blend. You can also put the pumpkin through the juicer, following it with water (putting just the pumpkin through does next to nothing).
- In a saucepan, combine the 1.25 cups of the pumpkin juice with the apple juice, apricot nectar, vanilla essence, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice and sugar. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- The whole point of this? By simmering you’ll be reducing the water so it’ll have a more concentrated taste and will help the spices infuse with the juices, which plays a big part in the taste.
- Chill and serve (although served hot is wonderful too!)
Polyjuice potion was just a “green” juice from the grocery store — something like Superfood or Green Machine should do. I find it delicious, but others have other opinions on the matter. When packaged as one of the most disgusting-tasting potions in the Harry Potter universe, it can push you down the path of negative bias.
The label came from this Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/592120628/wizarding-polyjuice-potion-large?ref=related-1
Gillywater was just freshly carbonated water from the SodaStream. The label came from this Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/592063622/gilly-water-printable-water-bottle?ref=related-5